1.12.07

Overplayed Movies: Coming To America

In 2004, a study found that since the introduction of feature films, there have been more than 120, 000 movies made throughout the last century.


I'm beginning a new segment on DiH-D called Overplayed Movies. It's a cold, unoriginal and lazy title, to be sure. But that's the point. That's what makes it so reflective. See what I did there?
In this segment, that will no doubt appear at very regular intervals, I'll keep a tally on the movies that are overplayed to death by the free-to-air network, and I'll mutter about their villainy and be all anti-establishment about the whole thing. Self-explanatory and trivial, if I do say so myself. Please do enjoy.

It's no surprise that Channel Ten is the first subject for Overplayed Movies. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if every single installment of this segment was a Channel Ten programming equivalent of someone soiling your face.

Coming to America is one of those movies that doesn't deserve to be replayed five times a year.
It's from the '80s, for starters. And yeah, there are plenty of '80s movies that are played all the time. But Coming to America is NOT Back to the Future Part 2. Nor is it Romancing the Stone. Those movies are timeless. Coming to America is so not.

What is the deal with this movie? Why does this constantly appear on our screens of a Saturday evening?Is Eddie Murphy really such a big drawcard? I remember The Golden Child being a tentpole Channel Ten overplayed movie until it got dumped into Midday Movie status. Why hasn't Coming to America followed suit? It both mystifies and upsets me to the core. Can we look forward to an overplaying of Norbit in the year 2028? Fuck, I hope not.

Please make this the last time, Channel Ten.

Coming to America - 10:10pm, Saturday December 1st. Channel Ten.

No comments: