6.11.07

First Post!

Greetings and welcome to Dystopia in High-Def, an exciting little project I'm embarking on to cope with having a lot to say with no voice to say it. My name is Ryan Gillies and my interests lie in multimedia; production, distribution and reception. I am currently studying Bachelor of Communications at university and am majoring in Media Production.

My thoughts on contemporary Australian media is as follows: the media is a decomposing entity; a wasteland whose very air is corrosive to all that inhabit it; a dystopia. I will stress, however: This blog is NOT the solution, nor will I ever claim it to be. My opinions, no matter how much sense they may make, are in no way intended to represent anything other than a good whine.

DiHD is a media commentary blog. A concept done to death; but only so because it's usually done right. There are exceptions, who I surely won't name (as I have yet to establish trust in my early and fragile career), but media journalism has the allure of currency and instant relevancy. Simply put, when dealing with the media, there is always something landing in your lap and always something waiting around the corner. Ideas and inspiration are only a button press on a remote away.

I am also a pop culture enthusiast; but by no means a pop culture connoisseur. There is an ambiguous line between the two, for sure, but more than anything it's more of a way of coping with the morality of what I do. And that is: watch a shitload of bad television and purposely put myself on the frontline of lowest-common-denomination. I enjoy it, but I'd like to think I enjoy it on a separate level than those who enjoy it for what it is.

I like to think this blog represents a modern-day audience: a take the good with the bad approach. Which is a coward's option, no doubt, but nevertheless an interesting angle. So many blogs focus on the cynical angle (trust me, I've tried that a few times), or focus on just the things that appear enticing, but end up boring. The good with the bad approach eliminates filtering and distortion of content, and hopefully I'll be able to mimic the entertainment industry itself in creating a mundane stream of tired, self-congratulatory morsels of commentary for quick and easy consumption. Depending on how much effort I put in.

I can't wait until I get some readership. I mean, A reader.

No comments: